Lighting is an important element in home design that’s often overlooked. A string of lights can be an inexpensive way to brighten up your New York apartment. Try out these tricks for spicing up your home with inexpensive decorative lights.
Keep String Lights Out Year Round
Don’t pack away those string lights when you take down your holiday tree! String or Christmas lights are a fun way to add a unique touch to your home year round. These lights are especially at home in the bedroom, where they work to create a romantic feel. Try some of these ideas:
- String lights across your headboard or hanging them over your bed for a canopy effect.
- Do you have a gorgeous vintage ladder? Wrap it with string lights to show off its beautiful shape.
- Create a custom marquee sign using cardboard letters and string lights with oversize bulbs. Interior design blog Teal & Lime offers an easy tutorial.
- Surround a floor-length mirror with lights. It’ll look pretty, and you’ll sparkle every time you catch your reflection!
- If you have high ceilings, draw the eye up by draping string lights across it.
Image Source: Flickr/Emily May
Brighten Dark Corners with Lamps
Lamps are another way to add interest to your home. Avoid expensive fixtures and keep an eye out for petite lamps with character. Thrift stores and discount retailers are great sources.
- Do you have a dark kitchen? Brighten it up with a fun lamp.
- Place a small lamp next to a couch or chair for a cozy reading nook.
- Brighten up a dreary corner by placing a beautiful lamp on a tall stand.
- Keep a lamp on an entry table. It will create a welcoming feeling.
Image Source: Flickr/Joel Montes de Oca
Highlight Features with LED Ropes
LED rope lights are another great option for bringing a new look your home. They can be used similarly to string lights, but the continuous shape lends itself well to other ideas, too.
- These lights are wonderful in the kitchen. Place LED rope lights under your upper cabinets for extra light or place them above cabinets or under the toe kick to draw the eye up or down.
- These decorative lights are beautiful framing windows and other architectural features.
- Highlight a row of books by attaching LED ropes along the shelf edge. You’ll appreciate the extra light when browsing your collection.
- For something quirky, spell out a giant word on your wall. It’s guaranteed to catch any visitor’s attention right away!
Image Source: Flickr
Don’t overlook lighting when decorating your New York apartment. Decorative lights are a fun and inexpensive way to add vibrancy to your space.
Main Image Source: Flickr
The post Brighten Up Your Home with Inexpensive Decorative Lights appeared first on Coldwell Banker Blue Matter.
Via:: Real Estate Tips